Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Final Day




Miles: 27.2
Final...Final Destination: Naples, FL
Well, this is it!
I woke up at Fort Meyers beach in the "lovely" Tahitian Inn and got on the road. I rode over the bridge (pictured) onto Estero Road which winds its way down to Naples. I had a very stiff wind headwind which was a little discouraging, but the distance was not as far as I thought. Before I knew it I was riding into North Naples.
I truly could not believe that I was on the last leg of my trip. It always seemed as if I was so far away with so many pedal strokes to go. But here I was!
As I entered my parent's gated community (they're all gated down here), I saw her in the distance taking pictures and holding up welcome signs (pictured) that my family had made. It was bitter sweet to ride up knowing that I was a day ahead and my dear Carrie, Avie, Jack and Finnegan were not going to greet me. But it was so wonderful to have my dear mother cheering me in.
So I made it. 2,328 miles, a few short of my 2,600 estimation, but still I feel good about it.
Tomorrow I will post my final post regarding my east coast bike trip with reflections on the trip as a whole, so stay tuned...
Til Tomorrow...

Overal statistics of my bike trip:

Total miles: 2,328
Average miles per day: 68.47
Average speed: 12.13 mph
Average calories burned per day: 4,222
Average time in the saddle (pedaling) each day: 5:32 hrs
Estimated pedal revolutions: 1,000,000

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Blake on a job well done - praise God for His protection and for giving you such a relaxing trip.
    xoKathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Blake.
    Do you need someone to ride your bike back to Maine?
    Love, Bob and Shirley Zinn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aweseome, awesome, awesome! Praise the Lord for a great ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific ride, Blake! Praise God for protecting you! I've been praying for you every time I see a cyclist, which is becoming rarer in this latitude.... Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Blake!! We are impressed, thankful and admire you for pursuing and finishing one if your lifetime goals!! You did an amazing job!
    Bet your legs are like telephone poles! Jen's were after circling America, 11,500 miles! Life-changing accomplishments!
    Rich & sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been following you the whole way. Awesome job, we always knew that you were the long distant extreme tri-athlete type. Now I have two friends with great abs. See you soon.

    The Rushtons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude>>>You might have better abs then me now.
    The Myers family want's to extend our congratulations for a job well done. Hope to see you and your family soon.
    Dwayne,Marilyn,Courtney and Samantha Myers

    ReplyDelete