Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 31 -Thursday 10/21








Miles: 56.2
Final Destination: Pierson, FL
Just in case anyone thinks I am staying in the lap of luxury when I stay in a motel along the way, check out the sign in my lastest stay (pictured). That sign could have been hung in my room as well!
Today was a H2 day, Heat and Hills. The lakes region has nice rolling hills which is nice to be in again, but the heat was intense, high 80's. early in the day I finally saw the crop that Florida is famous for...oranges (pictured)! Before it had been all horses and beef cattle (and a mystery crop under some shading, pictured), but here they are. Not quite ready for consumption, but nice.
Got lost a couple of times today, just not paying attention to the map. I stopped at a lonely grocery store to get some directions and there was an older gentleman at the counter talking to the cashier. After I got straightened out, he asked me what I was doing and why. After I told him about the missionary support, he paused and then said, "Go get yourself a couple of gatorades on me." These are the kinds of people that I have met on this trip. Americans are good people.
OK, I forgot to tell you about a Hitchcockian experience I had a couple of days ago. I rode up to a 4-way intersection in a desolate part of Florida. It was hot and so I stopped to take a breather. A minute later a truck whirred past and off into the distance, then silence again. A moment later I began to hear the engine noise of a prop plane in the distance. What movie was I living in? (answer at bottom)
Til Tomorrow...
Also pictured:
- Alpha is alive in the south as well!
- Don't forget to share the road!
- Beautiful spanish influenced churches down here
- "Ages gone by" An old orange farm overgrown and abandoned

Answer: North by Norhtest

1 comment:

  1. Hey my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in
    and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed.


    Tires Florida

    ReplyDelete