Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 24 - Tuesday 10/12






Mioes: 87.7
Final Destination: Andrews, SC (Home of Chubby Checker!)
I entered my 11th state this morning, South Carolina! (pictured)
I started thinking of all the nicknames of the states I have been through. How many can you name:
Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida (see below for answers)
There are 4 difficulties when it cames to touring called the "4 H's"
Hills
Headwinds
Hateful chasing dogs, and
Heat
Today I had 3 out of the 4. The headwind was steady and fairly strong from the southwest, the direction I road most of the day. I almost got chased by another dog, but his master called him back just as he was coming beside me. I yelled a 'thank you' and rode on. It was 85 degrees and sunny today. So with all of that and an 87 mile day which felt like 100+ to my legs, I got to my motel room and crashed (pictured)
Today I made the decision to visit Charleston. I will be there the afternoon of 10/14 and stay with Dick Donohoe, a former member of SWHCC. I cannot wait to see one of Carrie's favorite cities.
Til Tomorrow...
Pictured:
- Signs like these are all along the side of the road. We're definately in the south, Toto
- A little country church
State nickname answers:
Maine = Pine Tree State
NH = Granite State
Mass = Bay State
CT = Constitution State
NY = Empire State
NJ = Garden State
PA = Keystone State
MD = Old Line State
VA = Old Dominion State
NC = Tar Heel State
SC = Palmetto State
GA = Peach State
FL = Sunshine State

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 138:8 "The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me;
    for your love, oh Lord, endures forever!" May you be refreshed by
    this promise for today, Blake, as the days get warmer!
    You're in our prayers! Rich & Sandy almost to Sedona at Bryce NP

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot the Nutmeg state for CT! Charleston is pretty, enjoy! -Christa

    ReplyDelete