Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day 30 - Tuesday 10/20






Miles: 98.2
Final Destination: Mount Dora, FL
Left St Augustine and road parallel to the coast for about an hour before I turned inland. Goodbye Atlantic Ocean...hello Gulf of Mexico (soon). The first thing that I noticed almost immediately is that inland Florida is full of horse farms and beef cattle ranches. Who knew! There were "Beef: It's what's for dinner" signs and banners everywhere. It seemed so strange to see cattle grazing among palm fronds! (pictured).
Another thing I did not expect in Florida was hills! It was rolling hills for most of the day and even saw a sign that I had not seen in over 1,000 miles, a warning for trucks of a steep hill (pictured). I actually got up to 38 miles and hour down that one! But all bikers know the saying, "What goes down, must go up" and it was the first time since Pennsylvania I got up out of my saddle and stood up to climb a hill. It felt good!
Another inportant milestone today...I reached 2,000 miles since leaving Maine (pictured). Not bad for a little Connecticutian!
I decided to go a little further than planned today because my legs felt so good and almost did a century (100 miles in a day) 98.2 is close enough so between you and me I did a century.
On to Disney World manyana.
Til Tomorrow...
Also pictured:
- Bullet holes in road signs. I don;t think there had been one road sign without them since entering Virginia. Crazy's south of the mason-Dixon.
- A local baptist church. Hmmm, do you think it was built in the 60's?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Blake! No more states to cross! Your blogs have been really interesting with great photos! Rich has some real competition! Great job you are doing to keep us updated! Thank you!
    Verse for tomorrow: Psalm 31:15-15--"But I am trusting You, O Lord, saying, "You are my God!" My future is in Your hands." God bless!
    Love from the Johnsons' almost settled in Sedona!

    ReplyDelete