Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 19 - Thursday 10/7








Miles: 78.4 Final Destination: Ocracoke, NC Happy Birthday my little Finnegan! A big 2 years old today (see picture). I miss him (and the rest of my family) terribly. Got up with the sun to get on the road early and make up the miles I lost yesterday. Beautiful seeing the sun come up over the water (pictured). Warm, sunny day to ride. 77 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Isn’t that the way its supposed to be on an island? The highlight of the day was Hatteras lighthouse (pictured).I stopped for about an hour and ate a couple of sandwiches in it’s shadow. Quite a sight to behold..."breathtaking" as Bill Murray in Caddyshack would say. Even though this was supposed to be a break for my legs, I couldn’t resist going to the top, all 257 steps (pictured). The view was spectaacular (see video). The park ranger was very knowledgable and I could have stayed and talked for a lot longer, but I knew I had to get going. Interesting, wasps are attracted to the black paint on the top and so there are quite literally thousands of wasps flying around you up there! The ranger was kind enought to take my picture while I was there. Had to take a 30 minute ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke island (pictured) and when I got off I saw 4 guys on the road touring. I caught up with them and they started several days before in Virginia Beach and are headed for the west coast. A friend of their’s died in a cave spelunning and they are raising money for his widow and young child (nuttyputtycyclers.com). I biked with them for about 10 miles and talked. It was good to have the company, but I had to peel off as I arrived at my campsite. It was right on the beach and so I threw my trunks on and in I went (pictured). A great end to my day indeed! Til Tomorrow... Pictured: - A rest stop on the dunes of the OBX (shorthand for outer banks) - Almost very house has a little "rental" sign on it. Hey honey, how about we rent this little house next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment