Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 21 – Saturday 10/9

Miles: 61.4 Final Destination: Surf City, NC Got on the road and passed through Swansboro, NC where they were having the “Mullet Festival.” I heard people from out of town talking the day before and they thought it was strange that there was a festival for a bait fish? Oh well, each town has its claim to fame. (pictured is the beginning of the parade). Rode next to Lejuene Marine base for hours today (pictured). someone told me that there are 167,000 marines on that base!! I stopped for a gatorade outside a convenience store (80 degrees+ today!) and an older gentleman asked what I was doing. After I told him he said, “Are you a marine? Only a marine would be crazy enough to do what you are doing.” All I have to say is...Who-Rah! Crossed back over the inter-coastal waterway onto another of NC's outer bank islands (pictured). Boy, cycling next to the ocean is so serene. I ended up at a campground right next to the water (see video). After setting up camp I biked into Surf City and had a beer and some hot buffalo wings right on the beach! (3 things that go soooo well together...Pictured). Here is "the world is so small" moment...The people who are camping right next to me got married at the Clairemont Hotel in Southwest Harbor. Come on, that's amazing! Also Pictured: - I am in the land of Nascar. Seems like every body shop has its own racecar. What do you think of this car, Jack? - Shark picture quiz: What actor said the line, “This was no boating accident.” - Video: A tour of my typical campsite (see future post for video)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Blake. Good for you! Just found this site thanks to Pam. If you can get us your Florida route, maybe we can come find you to cheer you on.

    Brian & Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, if no-one else will answer Blake's question from Jaws: Richard Dreyfus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I read this post I was relieved to read that the "Mullet Festival" was for a fish and not the hairstyle! Ha, ha, ha! Can you imagine?!

    ReplyDelete