Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 7 - Tuesday 9/21





Miles: 84.5
Final Destination: Brookfield, CT
Two words once again...Hills and Headwinds
There were by far the steepest hills I have faces in my biking experience. Granby Hill, Deer Hill, Smith Hill and North Street and had double digit inclines. I was beaten by two of them (translation: gotoff and walked part of the way) The climb from Granby, CT to Norfolk, CT was grueling. It took all morning (6:30-noon).
I met some great people along the way. Istopped at what I thought was an eatery in Riverton, CT that turned out to be a business which makes home made italian food and freezes it for sale (Rose's Kitchen, Tag line: Italian Cuisine, Heat it up and eat it up"). What a great idea! Ines came out and greeted me from her kitchen with open arms. We talked and I told her what I was doing and when I came in to say my goobyes, she gave me a great big hug and them handed me 2 10 dollar bills and said, "Give this to your missionaries." I sure will Ines, God Bless you!
My stop in Norfolk, CT for a panini sandwich at a local store (pictured) mid afternoon turned out to be a wonderful experience learnig about the town. The locals told me that it was the 2nd richest town in America 150 years ago. Isn't that amazing, every town has their story. The architecture in that little town nestled in the Litchfield hills was amazing. Beautiful victorians and a huge playhouse. Other claims to fame include the highest evelation of any town in CT and the nickname the "Ice box" of CT as they are the coldest location in the state.
The afternoon was predominantly down hill, but as soon as I turned south on RT 7, instant headwind. There is almost nothing as discouraging on a bike as having to peddle downhill!
Well,made it to Brookfield and my parents house at 6:30 (12 hours on the bike) and a rest day on Wednesday. I'll be back on the blog on Thursday.
Til Then...
Pictured:
Bike break over the Housatonic..."A bridge too far"
Another NE church
A rest and powerbar stop at the Cornwall covered bridge (CT)
Sandwich shop in Norfolk, CT

1 comment:

  1. Hope you enjoyed your day of rest! Tomorrow I hope you have a smooth and joyous day, focused on the Lord. Call me on Friday if you are up for our small group, my att number is 831-0661.

    Press on, Press on!

    ReplyDelete