Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 4 Saturday 9/18







Miles: 67.1
Total Miles: 258.9
Final Destination: Epping, NH (Pictured with friend Scott James)
Today was a beautiful day after a cccchilly night. My feet were freezing in the tent, woke up twice, had to just ignore it.
Got on the road @ 6:30 am because I wanted to meet my Friend Lou Brown (pictured getting some ice cream) in Portsmouth @ noon. Had a wonderful breakfast at the Maine Diner which was spotlighted on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Great food!
I rode most of the morning along the Maine coast at the waters edge (pictured). I had the warm sun on my body, the ocean breaze and I was listening to one of my favorite Jazz groups (Spiro Gyra) on the Ipod. Can't get much better...
Put my first of 13 states behind me today. Left Maine and crossed the Kittery Bridge (pictured). I'll have to do that 12 more times before I reach my destination, seems so far right now.
Rode the afternoon with friend Lou Brown. It was really nice having some companionship after a morning alone. I much prefer to ride with someone, the conversation makes the time go by and you really get to know the person. Lou's great. Talked about bikes, church, common friends, Bar Harbor, etc.
One of the great things about touring is you find some of the best out-of-the-way places. Today Lou and I discovered Harvey's Farm (Pictured red barn) in Epping, NH. Family owned farm that has the freshest soft ice cream. It literally comes right from the cow into the machines and comes out deliciously creamy. Had a cup of their cookies and cream (that comes out of the machine!). Mmmmmm
Staying at te James' tonight. Another warm soft bed, Ahhhh
Til Tomorrow...
PS. Red's Eats (pictured) is a famous lobster roll place in Wiscasset Maine. Adrian and I stood in line for 15 minutes then bailed and went next door and ate. The people we were standing behind didn't get their meal for another hour! Is anything worth that wait?

1 comment: