Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 6 - Monday 9/21




Miles: 70.3
Total Miles: 413.6
Final Destination: Granby, CT
I have two words for today: hills and headwinds. The morning was brutal in the hills of CT. Ben (my brother in law) who got me into bike touring remembers well the hills of CT. We always say that the hills in CT are steeper than any in New England. (in CT they saw a hill and just went straight over it while other states took a winding approach)
Well, today it took its toll. I missed my daily goal by 10 miles because of them. I even had to walk up the last couple hundred yards of one in Union in NE CT (Ben, remember those!). I finally got into the farmland of CT in the PM. Nice flats and wouldn't you know I had a stiff headwind to deal with. Legs were jello by the time I got to Winsor.
I was taking a break today by the side of the road (pictured) and a Subaru pulled up and rolled down the window. We talked for a few minutes and he told me that he just got back from a 3 week rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. Then he left me with these words of 'wisdom': "To take an extended time off and not leave a trail of destruction is the true measure of a good life." Hmmmm. I can think of other measures for sure.
I mediated today on Acts 20:26. A surprising verse that challenges my perspective on sharing my faith in Christ.
Til Tomorrow...
PS I have been taking pictures of interesting church buildings along the way. Here's one (Pictured)
PSS Avonlea, thought you would like the picyre of the dogs in the car. They just sat there while the owners ate ice cream. The owners told us that they each have their own seat and they get very upset if someone else sits in their place!

1 comment:

  1. Today is your day or rest right. Enjoy it. Take time to soak in the stayingness of being still. I made it up and down Katahdin yesterday, no pain during the day, but sore this morning. Thanks for the training preparation of 290 miles on the bike.

    Keep up the good work.
    Adrian <><

    ReplyDelete