Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 10 - Saturday 9/25








Miles: 69.2
Final Destination: Stockton, NJ
Today awoke to another beautiful day along the Delaware river. Was sorry breaking camp and leave (pictured). The morning was a slow downhill along the river (My constant companion) again. I crossed over into Pennsylvania, my 7th state (pictured)! But it was short lived as the map had me cross back over just down the road. I still am going to count it anyway! 7 down, 6 to go...
I notice yesterday that my rear wheel was wobbling, checked it out and it was not the same problem as before, but just must have hit a bump and tweeked it, so I stopped at another bike shop (Bike Funattic) in Phillipsburg. While he straightened it, I went to have some fried rice at a local chinese restuarant and make some calls to set up my campsite reservation. Found that they were all full! Stared to call the hotel/motel/B&B list and they were too. Come to find out that there was a convention of some sort in the area. That left me with no place to stay...not a good feeling on a bike. Finally 3/4 of the way through my large chicken fried rice I found the last room at the Stockton Inn (Praise God!)
Went back and picked up my bike and started talking to the owner. He had a friend who rode in the RAM (Race Across America), a bike race starting in CA and ending in MD. His friend only made it 2,100 of the race and quit because his body could not take anymore. What got me was that he quit 8 days after he started...that means that he did 2,100 miles in 8 days, you do the mind blowing math! OK, I can do my 70 today.
Meditated on Romans 2:1 today about being judgmental. whew!
When I got to the inn and was unpacking, a couple in their early 60's came over and ask where I was headed. When I said Florida they said to my surprise, "Us too!" They were biking down the same route I am. Ended up talking late into the night at the bar with them about touring, life, etc. Turns out that he got into touring in 2004 and he was doing the east coast to finish up his "perimeter." What that measn in bike lingo is that he has done the west coast, bothe the southern and northern teirs across America and he was completing the loop! And here I am 700+ miles into this trip thinking it is a big deal. As I always say, perspective is key. Thanks for the memories Bill and Cindy!
The Stockton Inn was fabulous, great little room with a soft bed and ESPN. I do miss my sportcenter
Til Tomorrow...
Pictured:
- Tree with Delaware river flood levels on different years. It was 40-50' above where the river is normally! 1956 was the record
- More Choo-choo's for Finnegan
- Church with riveted metal steeple. I guess they just got sick and tired of painting and took care of the problem once and for all
- New picture series I am calling "Ages Gone By..." Touring allows you to see some of the structures that have been left behind and forgotten. Time marches right past them and man forgets them
pictured are train tracks that are overgrown from disuse. So many tracks I have criss-crossed are like this...sad

No comments:

Post a Comment