Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 5 Sunday 9/19

Miles Today: 83.4
Total Miles: 275.5
2 states down...11 to go
Well, I am exausted! I had to push to Sutton Falls Campground because there was not another one around. I had to make a decision in Westborough, Mass whether to push on another 18 miles of hit a motel.The person behind the 'Honey Dew Donuts' counter helped me decide...push on McDuff.
My legs feel great after such a big day in the hills of NH and Mass. So does my backside. Carrieand I figured out the other night on the phone that over the last 18 motnths that I have been training for this ride I have logged over 4,000 miles on the bike, both on the road and downstairs in our basement on the trainer. So, I guess I should be feeling fine.
OK, Quote of the day...
I was a little lost at the beginning of the day and was at an intersection looking at a map when a woman pulled up next to me. I motioned to roll down the window and asked her if she knew where "New Road" was. She peered over her steering wheel and responded, "I think they just paved this one." At which time I thanked her and waved her on her way. (I eventually found my way, but added sonme miles, Ahhh!)
I find that a lot of my time in consumed with making sure I do not get lost. Especially in the northeast, you have to pay CLOSE attention to the adventure Cycling maps and to the road signs as well (I almost went down a wrong road because there was a tree branch covering the roadsign). There are so many turns you have to make on little side roads weaving through the hills of the NE. It is so easy to be in thought and cycle right by your turn. As Carrie will tell you, I get consumed a lot! On a bike, 3-4 miles down the wrong road is the better part of an hours getting back to square 1. I've decided to go on a thought diet until I get out of the NE.
I got in just before dark at Sutton Campground in Sutton, Mass. I threw up the tent quickly before it got dark, took a shower and tried to call home...no service!
The camp manager very nicely allowed me to use his phone to check in. (I'm safe honey)
Well,it's almost 9pm...getting tired
Til tomorrow
Oh BTW, a falling acorn hit me today while riding, they hurt!

4 comments:

  1. The tree was aiming for you I think! Sorry you got lost. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I am sure you know this but if you had to stay in Westboro I know a few really nice people there who would have let you stay for free and even given you something to eat. But at least you are 18 miles more down the road. Way to go on 2 states down. Keep pressing on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny Blake - I got hit by an acorn while on my walk today - they really do hurt! I almost thought a small animal threw it at me as it hit me with such force.
    xoKathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The really ironic thing is that "New Road" is probably 200 years old. Good to catch up with your trip today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am keeping up with your journey by reading your blog!!
    Completed my first weekend at SWCC - I think it went all right - mentioned your youngest son in my message:)
    Safe traveling - Jim B.

    ReplyDelete