Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 3

Miles: 59.8
Total miles: 191.8
Final destination: West Kennebunk, ME
Today was the last day I biked with Adrian (sad!). It was so wonderful having such a good friend in the Lord with me for my first three days. A real gift. I will continue to look for houses with character and ride my "squeaky" bike for the rest of my trip. Thanks for the good times A. 
We awoke and had breakfast at the motel we stayed in. The owner came out and sat with us and as we chatted. Then I asked the simple question, "So, how did you get into the business." 35 minutes later we had discovered that he has been in the B & B business for 28 years because of a joke that went too far! Long story short, the town of Freeport told him he couldn't and he said "yes I can!" amazing what people will do for pride!
We ate at an interesting lunch spot in the little town of Standish. It was an old building converted into an eating establishment. Three stories with the first a restaurant, the second floor a pub with large screen TVs and a bar and the third floor was used for special events. The interesting thing was that the third floor room was designed as a dance floor when it was built and the whole floor is suspended on giant springs to help the stress on the building! I of course climbed up there and jumped up and down on it and sure enough it was true! I stood there and imagined all the people waltzing in the 19th century, doing the Lindy in the roaring 20's and girls in poodle skirts hopping there in the 50's. What a great history that room probably has. If the wall could only talk!
Speaking of the walls, they have preserved some pencil drawings on the original plaster of a now famous artist. Apparently just doodles, but from an important person. They have plexiglas over it and everything. What a great place to stumble over!!
No bike mishaps today. I think I have solved my fender issue of yesterday. 
Well, as i write I am at Happy Valley campground, tent set up, bike locked up and about to call it a night 9:30pm. 
Til tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. It was great to ride with you Blake. I think my body was angry that I wasn't dodging cars, avoiding ditches and having a great time on the bike hanging out with a good friend today. Sorry you froze, but this is Maine :) The meeting went well today. I got to BYC last night at 12:30am and was up mowing early. The mower and the lawn weren't happy with me. Pray you are well! Thanks for letting me ride.
    Adrian <><

    ReplyDelete